Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Do it yourself Anthropologie

Lynsee and I love window shopping at Anthropologie. Sometimes we even score and get to take something home. Often, we look at the shirts and try to think of ways we could make them ourselves for a fraction of the cost.

I recently went through my closet and pulled out all the shirts that I was hanging onto, yet hadn't worn in year(s). This resulted in a huge pile of unwanted clothes. I decided it was time to repurpose some of this "fabric" and attempt to re-create one of those "no rhyme or reason" Anthro shirts.

I grabbed a plain white tee shirt and two color coordinated discarded shirts. I chose shirts that were really thin, because I wanted a lighter feel to the shirt. I cut off a random strip from a shirt and layed it out along the neckline of the white tee in a pleated style.

Then, I pinned and sewed it on. Not hard, right?
Then, I cut out a few more strips. The greenish shirt I used had a great neckline, so I cut it off and pinned it on too. Essentially, I just layered on the fabric in a couple of rows, overlapping each row. Initially, I stopped the fabric halfway around the neckline, but I thought it looked weird on, so I continued it almost all the way around. I would definitely try on the shirt first and decide how low you want your design to come down.

30 minutes and 6 dollars later (yep, the white tee was $6!) Voila!


You could easily give many of your old, unwanted shirts a new life. Go ahead, try it! You've literally got nothing to lose!

P.S. It's my fellow bloggers birthday tomorrow (Wednesday). Happy Birthday, Lynsee!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it Heidi! I have about 7 pictures of things from there saved on my computer right now that I want to make!!! I can't wait to see it on!!!

    ReplyDelete